Lately I have worked with several new freelance transcriptionists, and I have some advice from personal experience for a freelancer who works on a site such as UpWork.
- Polish your freelancer profile on the site you are using. Make it look professional, including a clear photo of yourself. Also make to include several samples of your work in your portfolio.
- When writing a proposal, give a client a reason to hire you. Wow them! Don’t just say in your proposal, “Hire me! You won’t be disappointed.”
- Use proper grammar in your proposal. Since this is a business that depends on the use of proper grammar and punctuation to make a transcript look good, I am not going to look twice at a proposal with atrocious grammar, words spelled incorrectly, improperly placed punctuation marks, or no punctuation at all.
- While proper punctuation is key, when you are told, “I will let you know when there is more work,” DO NOT message your client two to three times a day begging for work. Be professional.
- When doing any jobs for a client, follow all instructions given, including proper use of any templates provided.
- USE SPELLCHECK!